Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Toddler Talk on Toenails

Today in JoAnn's we're standing in the ribbon aisle mulling over which ones would contribute the most to my current project and standing in arms length of me were two people- a young man and young woman in the 18-21 year old range. Both were dressed a little eccentric and by the few sentences I had heard them say, they were looking for ribbon for what sounded to be costumes. The man was homosexual. It was obvious in his mannerisms, talk, and dress. He was wearing thong flip flops and had beautifully pedicured, bright fuschia toenails.Keshlyn, being the observant little toddler she is, loudly points at his toes and says to me, "Mommy, that's silly. His toes are pink. Boys don't wear nail polish!" The young man pretended not to hear. Me, suppressing a giggle due to her cute comment and the awkwardness of the situation, I simply say in a sweet tone, "Daddy doesn't wear nail polish on his toes, does he?" The guy just kept chatting with his friend and they walked further down the aisle.

You know, you have to admire toddlers for calling it like they see it and for being brutally honest. I of course want to teach my children things like smoking is bad for you and cursing is not appropriate, but I also want my children to be tolerant and accepting that others are different and we all make our own choices. But of course in the toddler stage everything is generally black and white to them. They take everything you say at face value. So in the past when Keshlyn has asked why Daddy doesn't paint his toenails and I have answered with the explanation 'that boys don't wear toenail polish,' she took my word for it. :)

Keshlyn's other phrase lately that is cracking me up when she makes a mess or destroys something: "it's not a big deal, mom." She says it so timidly too. It is really quite cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment